Sunday, September 2, 2012

Five Little Monsters Came to School

Wow!  We are already 10 days into our school year.  Amazing!

It has been a busy start for me; especially since I am up to 23 littles.  I know that number doesn't seem large (especially when I compare it to years ago when I would have 30) but it is more than I am use to.

You see, the state of Florida implemented a law a few years ago that said by 2011 all primary classrooms had to have no more than 18 students.

So I have been spoiled for the past 5 years with low class sizes.

Now, although the law still exists, our district, due to budget constraints, has implemented larger class sizes.  Not sure what is going to happen with this, but I guess they know what they are doing.

Anyway, it has made for a hectic start.  However, things are beginning to calm down now, so I thought I would share another interactive chart that I made for this year.

I am sure you have seen this poem circulating around Pinterest.  I just took it and made it into an interactive chart.



The monsters have velcro on the back of them so the students can add or remove them as they interact with it.  The line at the top is where they use a dry erase marker to write the number of monsters.

I modeled using this with my students for their entire first week of school during math time.  Now they can read and use it independently at my interactive chart center.

Through observation, I can see who can really identify a number set up to five already.  And the best part, they are having fun doing it!

Now if I can just get 23 littles to bring their voices down so it sounds more like 18 littles in the classroom.  When that happens, then I will be ready to start implementing guided reading groups.

Wish me luck!

Happy Blogging!
Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment