Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Got Barbies?

Hi all!

I will begin this post by saying THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH TEACHING but teachers will probably enjoy it.

As I have mentioned before, I use to be an avid scrapbooker.  Now I am mostly digital and  occasionally dabble in the hands on method.  Anyone who have ever scrapbooked anything knows that there are OODLES AND OODLES of supplies out there; and, of course, at one time, I HAD TO OWN ALL OF IT!

I have a scrapbook room/office that houses most of  these products that are now just sitting silently waiting to be used again.

Well, recently my eight-year old daughter and I have started tapping into our right brained selves and using some of these materials.  However, we are not scrapbooking.

We were inspired by a little girl on Youtube who was making a barbie house out of a shoebox (I can't even find the little girl's video again to give her credit for the inspiration.).  My daughter stumbled upon her video one day while she was bored.  She said "Mom!  Can we make one of these?  I have an old shoe box."

I said "sure" and we proceeded to create what we referred to as "A Barbie in the Box."  Our first one turned out....um....well...it just turned out.

But now, after many hours of thought, contemplation, research and burnt finger tips (Darn glue gun!), I am ready to reveal our second product.

Here is... "A Barbie in a Box."

 Here is what the room looks like.  
The box is from Tuesday Morning.  
It is one of those designer boxes.
It was $9.99.

 Here is a closer look of the room.  
The embellishment on the wall is from Michaels.
It was 99 cents.
I used one piece of scrapbook paper for the walls. 
It was 59 cents.

 Here is a pillow.
I made it from some left over felt I had sitting around.
The flowers are scrapbooking embellishments that I hadn't used.
The bead is from one of my daughter's bead collections.

 Isn't this the cutest?
I made this tray from a circle cut from a piece of silver scrapbook paper.
Then I added some bling embellishments.
The perfume bottle is one large bead with a toothpick hot glued into it.
I drew on the spritzer with a black sharpie.
I made a poof out of some left over scrapbooking threads I had.
The nail polishes are made from three small beads and toothpicks.

 The lamp.
I used the top from my hair spray.
Three beads from one of my daughter's sets.
A bottle top and a toothpick.
I added some more bling embellishments.

The flowers
I started with a cap to one of my body sprays.
Lined it with hot pink polka dot scrapbooking paper.
Added some stuffing to the inside.
Used toothpicks for the stems.
Hot glued on some small paper flowers that I had from my scrapbooking days.
Hot glued a yellow bead to the center.
Added some paper leaves.

It is hard to tell from the pick but I made the bed out of a piece of wood.  

The trunk was bought at Michaels for $1.00.  I painted it black.  

The night stand was found unfinished at the Dollar Tree.  I painted it black.  

The dresser is a box covered with black duct tape and the drawers are left over pieces of scrapbooking paper.

I would say...Barbie in a Box #2 turned out pretty darn CUTE!  My daughter loves it but, unfortunately, it isn't for her.  

IT'S FOR ME!  

No...it isn't even for me!  

My niece saw the first original Barbie in a Box and asked for one for her birthday.  

So, of course, I had to see what I could whip up for her.  

She will get it tonight at her birthday party.  

Do you think she will like it?


Happy Blogging!
Ann




5 comments:

  1. I think she will LOVE it! I am seriously hating on Barbie right now... If only my room were as fabulous! You all did a FANTABULOUS job and I just LOVE the creativity!

    Karmen
    Karmens Kinders

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karmen! We just had her birthday party and she loved it! I just loved seeing her big smile. It made my day.

      :) Ann

      Delete
  2. Wow! What a vacation! I went to the Bahamas for a spring break in college many moons ago. We stayed in an "interesting" hotel, and we had to take a taxi to the outdoor place where we ate. I'm sure it was no comparison to your vacation, as I can tell by the pictures. I LOVE the Barbie in a Box...cute!!!!
    I'm your newest follower too!
    -Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jen! Welcome! I'm glad you are following me.

      Ann

      Delete
  3. This ia adorable! You are so creative! Now I have a reason to start saving hairspray, etc....caps. :)

    ReplyDelete