Thursday, May 24, 2012

Making Fossils

10 more days (but I'm not counting...I am just keeping track at calendar time)!

This is that wonderful time of year when you must plan LOTS of hands on, fun-filled activities.  It seems that every student turns into a kinesthetic learner.  I don't know about you, but I am exhausted.

However...I mustered up enough energy today to make dinosaur fossils with my kiddos (demonstrating how a fossil is created).

Here's how we did it:

First you need air dry clay (something like this, I got it at Walmart):


And you need small dinosaurs (something like these, counters from my math manipulatives):

Then, basically you give them a small amount of air dry clay and have them roll it into a ball.  Then they flatten it on a small piece of waxed paper or paper plate.  Next, have them select which dinosaur they want as a fossil and have them gently place it on it's side on the clay.  Tell them to gently push down until it makes an imprint (They should look something like this):

Last, make sure you let them dry for a good 48 hours.

One idea I thought of doing for next year was making a fossil for each of the small dinosaur counters I have.  Then put it out as a matching activity where the children match the dinosaur to it's fossil.

Well, that's it!  The kids loved it!  They all wanted to make more than one.  If I could just afford another container of the air dry clay, I would do this activity for the next 10 days just to keep the busy (I know you know what I mean).

So...what kind of fun, hands-on learning activities do you have planned for the final days of school?

Happy Blogging!
Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment